Responding to Violent Extremism Programme Assistant – Peace, Practice and Innovation (PPI) unit
The European Institute of Peace (EIP) is looking for exceptional individuals and companies who share our vision for a world where people live in safety and peace because conflicts and grievances are resolved through inclusive dialogue and lasting political agreements.
We provide practical experience, technical expertise, and policy advice on conflict resolution. We use a variety of tools to help us do this, including analysis, mapping and design of peace processes and agreements, facilitating policy discussions, and proposing practical engagement, for example through inclusive dialogue and mediation support.
Based in Brussels and active in over a dozen countries, the European Institute of Peace is an independent organisation working collaboratively with European decision-makers, the parties to the conflict, and those who represent people suffering from insecurity or at risk of violence, as well as the conflict prevention, resolution and mediation community.
Our innovative approach to peace enables us to be agile, creative, and effective in everything we do, and these are key qualities we look for in our team members. See www.eip.org for more information
We are looking for a Programme Assistant to be an integral part of the Responding to Violent Extremism programme.
Duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Programme Manager, the Programme Assistant will support the Responding to Violent Extremism team (RVE) in the delivery of high-quality projects in relation to Syria, Iraq, and the Horn of Africa among other countries.
The Programme Assistant will:
- Provide expert monitoring and analysis of relevant country-developments in the region;
- Assist in logistical and substantive planning and implementation of workshops and project activities;
- Help ensure project administrative follow-up, keep track of project progress with regards to deliverables and grant management;
- Conduct in-depth, project-related research on a variety of thematic and geographic aspects related to justice and reconciliation issues;
- Compile briefing materials and deliver meeting and project reports;
- In collaboration with the Responding to Violent Extremism team, maintain an up-to-date overview of contacts and outreach records;
- As defined by the team, engage with relevant stakeholders to maintain and support existing relationships and explore new opportunities;
- Provide operational, administrative and logistical support to the project teams, external experts and consultants throughout all phases of the project cycle to ensure smooth project delivery.
- Coordinate inputs from the project team to compile and edit drafts for annual progress reports and programme proposals to donors;
- As part of the project team, analyse and track progress on milestones, deliverables, monitoring evaluation indicators, and communicate these in internal and external project monitoring systems;
- As part of the project team, ensure organised filing and archiving of documents and information.
- University-level degree in a relevant field in political science, conflict resolution, international relations, or related field;
- At least two years of professional experience in project management and administration;
- Perfect command of English (verbal and written)
- Ability to work in Belgium
- Experience reporting to European donors and managing external funding;
- Fluent command of Arabic (verbal and written);
- Strong command of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams).
- A broad understanding of the complexities of violent extremism
- Experience working with NGO(s) in the area of human rights, peacebuilding, and international affairs;
- Ability to work well under deadlines;
- Meticulous attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a small team.
The Institute offers
- Employment contract (open ended Belgian contract);
- Salary based on 13.92 months and commensurate to the position and experience;
- Benefits package which includes luncheon vouchers, hospital insurance, pension plan, and contribution to transportation;
- 40h/week including 12 RTT days per year;
- Orange SIM card;
- Contribution to teleworking allowance: €15.
Start date: 02/11/2021
Please submit in English:
- Your CV (Name_Surname_CV_RVE Programme Assistant);
- One-page letter (Name_Surname_ML_RVE Programme Assistant) demonstrating your qualification according to the profile.
Submit to: email@example.com
The deadline is 17 October 2021 close of business (COB).
If selected for the first round, we will contact you for an interview which may include a written test. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interviews will be held from 27/10/2021 to 29/10/2021.
Deadline for application: 17 October 2021