Making peace with the climate: Water crises as entry points for conflict resolution
This event co-hosted by the European Institute of Peace and the Berghof Foundation will focus on water conflicts and conflict resolution approaches.
DATE: 22 MARCH 2021
TIME: 16.00-18.00 CET
The impacts of climate change and environmental degradation are receiving unprecedented attention at the highest level of governments and international institutions and within the peacebuilding community. Mediators, community leaders and other conflict resolution actors are increasingly aware of the risks and challenges posed by the negative consequences of climate change on habitats and natural resources. While they tend to exacerbate existing conflicts, environmental issues may also serve as entry points for conflict transformation; be it in political dialogue, in crisis management and in capturing opportunities of climate adaptation.
On the occasion of World Water Day, the European Institute of Peace and the Berghof Foundation are teaming up to host an online event that will focus on practical ways in which communities affected or threatened by conflict can draw upon the growing knowledge on climate security to promote dialogue and to prevent and resolve conflicts. With water conflict as a prism, conflict resolution practitioners will share their experiences and lessons learnt while trying to resolve conflicts over water or with water scarcity as an important backdrop. The discussion will also reflect the opportunity of motivating conflict parties to cooperate on shared environmental challenges as an entry point for more comprehensive peace negotiations.
- Andrew Gilmour, Executive Director, Berghof Foundation
- Kai Sauer, Under-Secretary of State for Foreign and Security Policy, Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland
PANEL DISCUSSION AND Q&A
- Nada Majdalani, Director of Palestine Office, EcoPeace Middle East
- Robert Mardini, Director-General of the International Committee of the Red Cross
- Alexander Rondos, EU Special Representative to the Horn of Africa
- Habiba Sarabi, Member of Afghan Peace Negotiation Team, former Deputy Chair of the Afghanistan High Peace Council
Moderator: Michael Keating, Executive Director, European Institute of Peace
- Susanne Schmeier, Associate Professor in Water Law and Diplomacy, IHE Delft